To introduce Chapter 1 you may want to use this survey about jeans. It can be used in your class lecture, for an in-class group assignment or discussion, or an outside assignment that is turned in later. The goal is to encourage students to think about research and apply the concepts presented in Chapter 1.
- After reviewing the jeans survey, which function do you think the jeans survey would serve – exploratory, descriptive, diagnostic, or predictive? Why?
- Would this research be applied or basic? Why?
- Look at Figure 1.6. In which category would you place this research? Why?
- How could this research benefit a manufacturer of jeans?
- How could the research benefit a retail store that sells jeans?